Friday, March 22, 2013

PAX East Musings #1

I couldn't help but really enjoy Randy Pitchford's talk at PAX East earlier today.

In particular, I found his examination of choice to be interesting.  I would be remiss not to mention his entertaining card trick segue, during which he allowed an individual to make a perceived choice as to which deck of cards he would use to demonstrate with.  He asked an audience member to chose the red deck or the blue deck.  The member of the audience chose the blue deck, which he was tossed.  (It was a little later that we were told had he picked the red deck, Randy would have used his choice to mean he wanted the trick to be performed with the red deck.  Either way, the audience member was led to believe that he was in control, when in reality the opposite was true).

The details of the card trick are not the importance here, as he was using it to show how choice, whether perceived or real, was an influencing factor on how we appreciate things.  He observed that "fanboyism" really derives from the choices that we make.  The fact that our choices impact our opinions of things really goes to show you just how insecure we can be at times.  Fanboyism is how we justify the decisions that we make from the trivial day-to-day decisions all the way to our more weighty life-altering choices.

To tie this in to something that I posted earlier: I would make the argument that Trophies are better than Achievements.  I have the ability to earn both, since I own a 360 as well as a PS3.  However, there was a time when I chose to pick up a PS3 instead of the 360.  Therefore, Trophies are something that I indirectly chose.  Since I am more familiar with them, I suppose that my affinity for them over Achievements would stem from a choice that I made.

I'm really looking forward to hearing more from all of the amazing individuals from within the industry.  As I listen, I'll make sure to throw some more thoughts and rants up on the blog.  Until then, if anyone is reading this, let me know what you think in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment