Saturday, March 16, 2013

A snippet of my retail experiences...


I worked for GameStop from August 2009 to December 2010.

In that time, I worked from the position of Game Advisor (GA) to 3rd Key Manager (essentially does the same thing as an Assistant Manager [ASM] but with just enough less hours that they don’t have to offer you benefits).  I worked in two different locations.  The first location that I worked was a mall location, the second was a newer store located in a small strip mall.

Two of my favorite stories are about people stashing things inside the “fat” Playstation 2s. 

One time, a boy and his mom brought in a PS2 to trade towards a PS3.  The mom had to be there because the kid was under 18 and was too young to complete the transaction.  He was looking at games while his mom brought the system up to me.  After explaining the amounts they would get and protocol for taking the system (I had to hook it up and run a game disk in it) she agreed and I went to work.  After checking the system (which worked fine) I went to check the expansion bay in the back of the system.  Upon removing the door, a little baggie with a green substance fell on the counter.  The mom and I both stared at it but she grabbed it before I said anything.  She brought it over to the boy and asked him what he knew about it.  The boy instantly (fearing death) blamed his friends that he had invited to his house a few days prior.  The mom just said, “Bullshit” and grabbed him by the arm and dragged him out of the store.  On her way out, she told us to keep the system.  I only worked at that location for three more months (and there were two other locations in town) but I never saw those people again.

The other occasion I referred to was when I was taking a PS2 for trade from a guy and his girlfriend was with him.  I ran the test, it tested fine.  I checked the expansion bay and there were pictures of his girlfriend (it was clearly her) naked.  She, unfortunately, was elsewhere in the store when this happened.  The guy grabbed the pictures and asked me if there was any problem with the system.  I couldn’t help but laugh and tell him ‘no’.  We were in the business of selling video game hardware and software, not exposing tools.
Of course we also had the occasional spider or roach infestation in all varieties of consoles: 360s, PS3s, PS2s, even Wiis.  However the most disgusting infestation I dealt with was actually a copy of Assassin’s Creed for 360.  I was taking a stack of used games for trade and after a few months (or a year) you get pretty fast at processing games.  Snap the case open, eject the disc, examine quickly, replace the disk, close the case, scan the barcode, rinse and repeat.  Assassin’s Creed was the last one in the stack so I was expecting nothing, having had no problems from the previous cases.  When I opened the case, several small roaches fell out and started to scurry around.  The ASM next to me started whacking the roaches with something or another while I quickly shut the case and tossed it in the trash.  The whole time this is going on the guy that who owned these games just stared like nothing was going on.  After throwing the case in the trash, I quickly tied-off the bag and brought it out back to the dumpster.  When I got back in, I explained that we would not take his games and that he could retrieve his copy of Assassin’s Creed from the dumpster behind the store.  When I trade things in (this happens much less the older I get…) I always check every piece prior to bringing them in the store.  I could not, for the life of me, understand how people could bring games in to trade the way that they did.

There was another time where a kid brought in three or four game cases which were clearly soaking wet and contained water inside the case.  He actually believed that he could trade the titles in like that.  His excuse was, “Well, I’ve played games before after just drying them off and they worked fine.” 
We also had people who would blame us for breaking the items that they brought in for trade.  A guy walked in with his son and a box full of a PS3 and a few games.  They wanted to trade the equipment for a 360.  I went to test the system and, low and behold, it had the YLOD.  I explained to him what that meant and he immediately started to lambaste me for “breaking their system.”  “How could you do that to a kid man?!”  There was literally two seconds between my explanation and his outburst.  I could tell that it was broken when they came in and thought that they could pull something over on us. 

Something that always strikes me as ridiculous is reading forums and seeing a commenter talk about how much GameStop “screws people over.”  I’m going to tell you right now that in my two years I saw many more people try to screw-over GameStop than times that I thought someone was getting an unfair deal.  Does GameStop offer you $25 for a game that they will turn around and sell for $55?  Sure, but that’s business.  If people don’t like it, why don’t they speak with their money and stop frequenting the place?  Because people love to complain, that’s why.

Then there are the people who believe that it is not GameStop screwing them, it’s you the employee.  It’s especially true for the younger customers and the older customers.  For example: a boy walked-in with a copy of Wii Sports one time and wanted to trade it in.  I told him that it would trade in for $10.  He asked if he could just trade it for a copy of Modern Warfare 2 (the newest CoD at the time).  I explained to him that there were many reasons why that was not going to happen, but he just couldn’t understand why the Modern Warfare disk was worth more than his Wii Sports disk.

The older generation (for the most part) was the same way.  They would bring their grandson in with a box of ancient PS2 sports titles and wonder why we wouldn’t take half of them and we’d only give $2.50 for the other half.  They didn’t understand supply and demand and depreciation of titles.  Then of course came the yelling.

Although the older generation wasn’t always bad.   When I was working for Best Buy in their home theater department, I had an older lady (she said that she was 85) come in with her husband.  She was looking for a big-screen TV (32”) so that she could play her favorite video game: Resident Evil 5 on the PS3.  My jaw dropped.  I immediately told her husband that he had better be careful with his wife because any number of people in that store would gladly ask her out on a date.

On the subject of dating: when I worked at my first GameStop location (just before transferring to the strip mall location) my Store Manager was promoted to another store.  The guy they brought in was a total idiot.  This new manager also had a tendency to curse (harshly) in front of all manner of customer no matter the age or gender.  He also played a male pixie at the local Renaissance Festival… but that’s another story.  This new manager, about his second week at the store, took a liking to the Piercing Pagoda manager.  She was a total troll (and I am typically a rather non-judgmental person when it comes to physical appearance).  She was huge, she was ugly, and she had a thicker mustache than I had (at the time).  Well, they started leaving each other notes during the off hours.  I’d come in to open in the morning and, after opening the gate, I would see a folded piece of paper with his name written on it.  One time, my curiosity got the better of me.  I opened the note.  I’m not an optometrist, but I am pretty sure that this note was the reason behind my gradually worsening astigmatism.  They picture scrawled on it was one of the nastiest scrawled pictures I’ve ever seen.

Eventually, the employees of the store formed a coup dedicated to riding ourselves of this newest pain in the arse.  We started getting together when he wasn’t on the clock or after hours to produce a list of “charges” to show our District Manager with the hopes that action would be taken.  The aforementioned picture was one of the things provided to our DM.

When we presented our case the DM simply looked at us and told us that if we ever pulled something like this again, he would fire all of us.  This guy was seriously willing to fire 75% of the store to protect this terrible manager.  Luckily, I moved a couple of weeks later and I didn’t have to deal with him again.  The last I heard, he was no longer employed with GameStop, but he was still playing a pixie at the Renaissance Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment