Thursday, January 19, 2012

Resident Evil: Revelations demo now on eShop (UPDATE!)

BAM!  That's two pieces of RE news, if you're counting....


Wow, it's been a Resident Evil kind of day! First, news broke about Resident Evil 6 and it's November 20th launch date (for Xbox 360 and PS3). Now we are being treated to a demo for Resident Evil: Revelations on the Nintendo 3DS.

Here is what the RE: Revelations homepage says about the 3DS exclusive which launches on February 7th:

"Resident Evil returns to survival horror with a brand new storyline and a new level of tension and intrigue. A brand new setting delivers a more tense and intriguing gameplay experience than any Resident Evil to date!. Built from the ground up to take advantage of the Nintendo 3DS features, Resident Evil Revelations delivers outstanding visuals that bring the fear to life.

The action bridges the gap between Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5, unveiling new adventures for Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield. Jill and her new partner, Parker Luciani, have been sent on board a supposedly abandoned cruise ship in the Mediterranean, to search for Chris Redfield, based on his last known GPS coordinates. Far from being empty, the ship hides danger around every corner as Jill and Parker explore the confined space of the ship and must face a menacing new horror that emerges from the darkness.

Adding a new unique horror setting to the series, Resident Evil Revelations gives players the chance to venture underwater as they try to escape the terrifying creatures that are roaming the ship. But even the water isn't safe as the creatures continue to attack from the depths while Jill and Parker make a desperate bid to make it off the ship alive."

I haven't had a chance to play it through yet, but as soon as I do I'll update this post. Meanwhile, if you have a 3DS, make sure to check out this highly anticipated title!  After you check it out, make sure to return and leave your comments down below!

UPDATE!:

I was able to sit down and spend some quality time with the demo and, man, does it look good!  I mean that both graphically and content-wise.  First of all, the game looks amazing and it seems like they took a step back to the crowded and narrow hallways.  The 3D is implemented well and there is an in-game option to further adjust the effect. 

At no point in time during the demo was I swarmed with wave after wave of enemies.  They came methodically but I still had to think on my feet and keep an eye on my ammo.  There are two options for aiming: third-person and first-person.  I chose third person and it worked fine for me.  The demo (and therefore, I assume, the game) featured an option to use the upcoming Circle Pad Pro, but I felt like the single-stick control scheme worked just fine for me. 

The demo really left a good impression with me and made me eager to see more of this title.  It also made me aware of just how much the Nintendo eShop would benefit from providing more demos to their consumers.  It seemed awkward that, after years of sampling demos across the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3, I was terribly excited that a demo had finally crept onto my 3DS.  This is all off-topic, however.  What's important is that you get on your 3DS and take RE: Revelations for a spin, you'll be gad that you did!

Again, if you had the chance to play the demo, make sure you go down to the comments section and let me know what you think!
(Box art provided by Wikipedia.)

2 comments:

  1. It got Game of the Month in Game Informer for what its worth. I'm looking forward to it. You can head survivors on the ship but some of the unread can mimic the sounds so to don't always know what your getting into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game of the Month, eh? Did they have Amalur in that issue?

      Delete